Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-ai-demand-stronger-socs-for-smartphones.17672/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will AI demand stronger SoCs for smartphones?

VCT

Right now phone SoC maybe too powerful to most softwares. In the future, will AI demands stronger SoC for smartphones?
Some tasks maybe done in edge device like smartphone.

Right now phone SoC maybe too powerful to most softwares. In the future, will AI demands stronger SoC for smartphones?

Will phones need "AI" as such? To begin with, one needs to figure out what that AI thing is. Currently, marketing pushes everything as "AI".

Will phones need "AI" as such? To begin with, one needs to figure out what that AI thing is. Currently, marketing pushes everything as "AI".
Phones already have a lot of AI running things like speech recognition, recommendation tools, camera filters ect

Will robots come with phone attachments? The robots can use the AI engine in the phone. In the future, robots will call robettes

I remember seeing an AI core (neural engine) in an iPhone teardown a while back. I'm sure there are more in there now. AI will touch most chips, security is a big one, but also for optimizing information search/organization and getting data to and from the cloud. That will be a big one. Pictures on my iPhone are sorted for me by location, topic, etc...

The thing about AI is that it will consume compute and storage resources which will keep the leading edge semiconductor segment very busy for years to come. AI really is one of those things that is coming whether you like it or not so either you harness the power of AI or it will harness you, absolutely.

Reactions: VCT
Phones already have a lot of AI running things like speech recognition, recommendation tools, camera filters ect

So, what that AI thing is, and what does it do? Prediction by partial matching, markov chains, doing fuzzy logic in hardware, runs perceptrons, linear algebra accumulation operations, etc?

So, what that AI thing is, and what does it do? Prediction by partial matching, markov chains, doing fuzzy logic in hardware, runs perceptrons, linear algebra accumulation operations, etc?
For speech recognition, deep learning, for photo correction a combination of things but increasingly generative AI. Like those photo tools that open your eyes in photos if you get caught blinking, that’s generative AI.

Can this technology be added to glasses? This can ruin the cosmetics industry and save marriages.

For speech recognition, deep learning, for photo correction a combination of things but increasingly generative AI. Like those photo tools that open your eyes in photos if you get caught blinking, that’s generative AI.

No, I mean how exactly does it work? GPUs for example are producing 3D graphic effects through oodles of matrix operations. But how would that AI thing work? By all means, few implementations around are all miles apart from each other, and ones which went into mass production are not too dissimilar to GPUs.

I remember seeing an AI core (neural engine) in an iPhone teardown a while back. I'm sure there are more in there now. AI will touch most chips, security is a big one, but also for optimizing information search/organization and getting data to and from the cloud. That will be a big one. Pictures on my iPhone are sorted for me by location, topic, etc...

The thing about AI is that it will consume compute and storage resources which will keep the leading edge semiconductor segment very busy for years to come. AI really is one of those things that is coming whether you like it or not so either you harness the power of AI or it will harness you, absolutely.
There are 16 Neural Engine cores in an A16. And a 5 core GPU. The Neural Engines are something of a mystery exactly how they work outside of Apple, and app developers outside of Apple can't program the NEs directly. As the name implies, the NEs are thought to accelerate neural network processing functions.

30-25 years or so ago, people though that doing realtime audio on computer is completely outside of ream of possibility without dedicated hardware, but in just 10 years, CPU audio has actually bested most sound cards in both latency, and fidelity (and that on CPUs without vector extensions). And it did it so hard, that most sound cards actually dropped their no.1 feature — hardware sound mixing.

But the biggest insult to injury came when everybody just stopped bothering coding for hardware sound, stereo effects, surround sound widening when everybody just got indifferent to these things. It went from a multimedia PC being unsellable without 3D sound, to nobody even noticing it in less than a decade.

Back