Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/micron-says-they-plan-to-spend-up-to-100b-over-20-years-to-build-fabs-in-new-york.16804/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Micron says they plan to spend (up to) $100B over 20 years to build fabs in New York

blueone

A 20 year time horizon? Seriously? I'm all for domestic memory manufacturing for strategic reasons, but this "plan" smells funny. Like it's undercooked. How can anyone in an industry as dynamic as chip manufacturing seriously plan over 20 years? I'm glad for stockholders they added that "up to" clause in the announcement.

Sanjay Mehrotra has a much better imagination than the previous Micron CEO. He is a hard core Silicon Valley veteran. I really would like to see the US be a bigger player in the memory market. It is a critical part of the semiconductor ecosystem, absolutely.

No doubt. I wonder if we'll still be using DRAM as we do now in 20 years?
I think so (of course no guarantees :) ). If memory serves from an IEEE whitepaper I was reading, DRAM can scale further than logic. To get there will take far longer given the speed of dram shrinks/how far behind it is compared logic.

A 20 year time horizon? Seriously? I'm all for domestic memory manufacturing for strategic reasons, but this "plan" smells funny. Like it's undercooked. How can anyone in an industry as dynamic as chip manufacturing seriously plan over 20 years? I'm glad for stockholders they added that "up to" clause in the announcement.

Don't be too harsh to Micron 🙂. Intel also said it will invest $100 billion in Ohio for ten new fabs. Except Intel hasn't revealed how soon it will fullfil this vision while Micron projected a 20-year target.

Don't be too harsh to Micron 🙂. Intel also said it will invest $100 billion in Ohio for ten new fabs. Except Intel hasn't revealed how soon it will fullfil this vision while Micron projected a 20-year target.
Micron's revenue is about half of Intel's. Intel produces mostly highly differentiated products, while Micron produces mostly DRAM and NAND, which are mostly not differentiated. Intel is also going into the foundry business, while Micron has not announced anything substantially expanding their TAM.

Whenever one of these location investment decisions are made, and Micron's is certainly a major one, there are always weird supportive announcements from seemingly unrelated organizations. This one from Syracuse University has got to be the weirdest one I've read yet. At least they really do have chemical engineering and electrical engineering programs.

This is a proud moment for our University. Syracuse University’s academic, economic, cultural and civic contributions to Central New York are among the factors that attracted Micron to our area.

Uh huh. And here I was thinking it was probably the plentiful water, cheap power, low cost of living, a well-enough educated potential workforce, and, of course, a wide portfolio of subsidies and tax abatements, but perhaps the university was on the list somewhere. :)

Whenever one of these location investment decisions are made, and Micron's is certainly a major one, there are always weird supportive announcements from seemingly unrelated organizations. This one from Syracuse University has got to be the weirdest one I've read yet. At least they really do have chemical engineering and electrical engineering programs.

Uh huh. And here I was thinking it was probably the plentiful water, cheap power, low cost of living, a well-enough educated potential workforce, and, of course, a wide portfolio of subsidies and tax abatements, but perhaps the university was on the list somewhere. :)

Research firms are forecasting the TAM to expand 2.5x the next 7 years to well over $300B per year. All Micron needs to do is expand at industry pace.

Also, "up to $100B" does not mean $100B. I certainly hope it does though.

Back