[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Google getting into CPUs

Paul2

Passing birdies been telling that Google made a decision to make own CPUs from scratch, and is now recruiting for that.

They want a fully proprietary platform from the ground up.

Most of the team is planned to be brain drained from IBM Research — possibly the last place left in North America capable of doing top tier CPU microarchitecture design from scratch.

Last edited:
Passing birdies been telling that Google made a decision to make own CPUs from scratch, and is now recruiting for that.

They want a fully proprietary platform from the ground up.

Most of the team is planned to be brain drained from IBM Research — possibly the last place left in North America capable of doing top tier CPU microarchitecture design from scratch.
No surprise to me. IBM, home of my favorite Power architecture, is a good place to poach from.

Very cool, hopefully they'll figure out we need a good open-source EDA platform in the process.

I know a lot of experienced IBMers have boomeranged back from GF as well.. great time in the industry to change jobs.

Very cool, hopefully they'll figure out we need a good open-source EDA platform in the process.

I know a lot of experienced IBMers have boomeranged back from GF as well.. great time in the industry to change jobs.
Why Google wants to facilitate open source EDA platform and tools to help other competitors?

Will it prolong the Google chips' development timeline and complicate the scope/purposes?

Do we know these new Google CPUs will be for servers/cloud or for client side devices like notebooks and tablets?

Back