Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-to-build-new-fab-in-kaohsiung-taiwan.14940/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC to build new fab in Kaohsiung Taiwan

Your numbers and locations are all wrong. According to TSMC's web site they have Fab 12A/12B in Hsinchu, Fab 14 and 18 in Tainan, Fab 16 in Nanjing and Fab 15 in Taichung.

From my research, at one time they made some 28nm in Hsinchu and may make some there still, say 20 to 30k wpm. Their main 28nm manufacturing is Fab 15 phases 1 through 4 in Taichung with around 160k wpm capacity between the 4.

Nanjing is used to make 16nm/12nm, not 28nm.

Kumamoto is in Japan and that fab hasn't even started construction yet.

Kaohsiung is a rumored site for a future fab but TSMC hasn't even announced it yet.
Regarding the TSMC Kaohsiung expansion, it was reported that City of Kaohsiung approved TSMC's application on April 12, 2022.

Your numbers and locations are all wrong. According to TSMC's web site they have Fab 12A/12B in Hsinchu, Fab 14 and 18 in Tainan, Fab 16 in Nanjing and Fab 15 in Taichung.

From my research, at one time they made some 28nm in Hsinchu and may make some there still, say 20 to 30k wpm. Their main 28nm manufacturing is Fab 15 phases 1 through 4 in Taichung with around 160k wpm capacity between the 4.

Nanjing is used to make 16nm/12nm, not 28nm.

Kumamoto is in Japan and that fab hasn't even started construction yet.

Kaohsiung is a rumored site for a future fab but TSMC hasn't even announced it yet.
JASM (Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc) started the fab construction last week in Kumamoto Japan. JASM is a joint venture between TSMC, Sony, and Denso.

TSMC is adding 28nm 40K monthly wafer capacity to their Nanjing fab. I believe it can go into production in late 2022 and reach full capacity around 2023 because it's using existing Nanjing fab's building.
My mistake on Nanjing, they did say they are expanding 28nm capacity on their 2021-Q4 earning call and they did mention China as one place they are expanding it. In term of Nanjing on the 2021-Q2 call they said the total capacity is 25k wpm in phase 1 and phase 2 will come on line second half 2022 and the fab will reach 40k wpm mid 2023.

Regarding the TSMC Kaohsiung expansion, it was reported that City of Kaohsiung approved TSMC's application on April 12, 2022.

But TSMC has made no announcement on a Kaohsiung fab and until they do I question how real this is. I also don't think the 7nm and 28nm in the same fab comment makes sense.

But TSMC has made no announcement on a Kaohsiung fab and until they do I question how real this is. I also don't think the 7nm and 28nm in the same fab comment makes sense.
TSMC Kaohsiung expansion is very real otherwise they won't file the application. Due to the market situation and equipment/supply chain availability issues, it's not clear to me how soon they will bring it up to the full production capacity.

TSMC Kaohsiung expansion is very real otherwise they won't file the application. Due to the market situation and equipment/supply chain availability issues, it's not clear to me how soon they will bring it up to the full production capacity.
We will see, it is possible they were exploring the possibility but haven't decided. Once again. TSMC hasn't announced it and construction hasn't started so it is a couple of years away if it actually happens. TSMC has explored other fab site/options that they didn't do so until TSMC says they are doing it you can't be sure it will happen. Someone commented construction was supposed to start in June so we will know one way or the other in the next couple of months.

TSMC is adding 28nm 40K monthly wafer capacity to their Nanjing fab. I believe it can go into production in late 2022 and reach full capacity around 2023 because it's using existing Nanjing fab's building.

Do you remember that when Abu Dhabi first bought GloFo shares, they wanted it to build a 28nm fab in Abu Dhabi at around 12 years ago?

We will see, it is possible they were exploring the possibility but haven't decided. Once again. TSMC hasn't announced it and construction hasn't started so it is a couple of years away if it actually happens. TSMC has explored other fab site/options that they didn't do so until TSMC says they are doing it you can't be sure it will happen. Someone commented construction was supposed to start in June so we will know one way or the other in the next couple of months.

I believe this unnamed customer for Air Products $900 million on-site facilities in Kaohsiung is the future TSMC Kaohsiung fab.

Back