Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/chip-industry-wants-50-billion-in-federal-incentives.13644/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Chip Industry Wants 50 Billion in Federal Incentives

Arthur Hanson

The US chip industry wants 50 billion in federal incentives to keep chip manufacturing in the US. I think it would be better to give TSM the incentives than Intel, who blew their lead through poor management. I think it's better to back proven talent, than also rans. I wonder how this will come into play on TSM's planned plant in Arizona. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I believe a significant amount of that $50 billion is already reserved for the TSMC Arizona project.

In my opinion it's entirely too premature to write off Intel... Yes they might not be #1 again, but how many other true tech companies have their scope, product portfolio and technical talents/resources?

In my opinion it's entirely too premature to write off Intel... Yes they might not be #1 again, but how many other true tech companies have their scope, product portfolio and technical talents/resources?
The counter to this is that many companies have permanently lost core technical competencies due to bad management, which includes losing critical "technical talents" and not properly employing the ones they can hire and retain. How many years has it been since Intel started failing hard with their 10 nm node, and has never really made it work except maybe for mobile CPU? And now their 7 nm node, their first to use EUV, is according to them significantly behind their internal schedule.

The US chip industry wants 50 billion in federal incentives to keep chip manufacturing in the US. I think it would be better to give TSM the incentives than Intel, who blew their lead through poor management. I think it's better to back proven talent, than also rans. I wonder how this will come into play on TSM's planned plant in Arizona. Any thoughts?

To bring back the chip industry back into America, America needs to revert the 30 years of Taiwanese domination.

To do that, they seem to have missed one more zero on the price tag.

If TSMC is the target here, the goal is to have them build a 50-EUV manufacturing site in the US.

Heavy subsidies should be implemented by the number of EUV installed.

TSMC chair talked about "the cost gap" many times. How about make it cheaper in the US? The land, water, and electricity are already cheap. If the gap has become negative, does TSMC have a choice? Please note TSMC stock ownership by country is roughly US 60%, Taiwan 20%, and the rest of the world 20%. If TSMC management fails to see the benefit, those US investors can help.

If you can't beat them, pay them and have them do the work.

If TSMC management fails to see the benefit, those US investors can help.
Those US investors themselves are in their majority big international funds not to small part serving sovereign investors, and having uncertain loyalties.

The famous fund company Black Rock is said to have effectively turned Chinese over the last decade. Arab monarchies are said to have equally big players on Wall St. acting as their fronts.

Back