[XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel Launch Event

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
I'm watching it now. Based on the intro from Gregory Bryant, EVP Intel Client Group, I would say it will be an interesting event!

"We have been working across the industry with partners you have just heard from to advance the PC platform and bring new experiences to life and that all starts with a world leading CPU, the heart of every PC. And today we are excited to launch the worlds best processor for thin and light laptops 11th Gen Intel Core Processor. In total we are introducing 9 new high performance mobile skews scaling from Core i3 to Core i7. And when we say it is the worlds best processor it isn't an exaggeration. The 11th Gen Core Processor is the best processor Intel has ever built. It is the best processor currently on the market and it certainly rises above all of the imitators and today we will prove it to you. We will look at the benchmark performance but not just that, we will put the processor through the paces of all the things you want to do with your PC without compromise. Connectivity, creation, gaming, collaboration and entertainment.

But first let's talk about what makes this the best CPU for laptops. The 11th Gen Core Processor brings together a new CPU that delivers industry leading performance and frequencies up to 4.8GHZ. It has a new integrated GPU that is designed on our Xe graphics architecture with industry leading AI performance as well as new integrated thunderbolt 4 and the best connectivity with integrated WiFi 6, and of course it also includes all of those deep software optimizations resulting from our work with leading developers all around the world. And all of that comes in super sleek, ultra thin and light designs like you see here from our top six OEMs and partners including Acer, Dell, HP and Lenovo. And this, the Samsung Galaxy book flex 5G the first Intel 11th Gen Core based PC enabled with Samsung's 5G solution..... And the Asus Expert Book ....

Now you can see all of these and 50 new designs powered by the 11th Gen Core processors in market, in time for the holidays and over 150 designs are expected in total."

Breakthroughs made possible by 1th Gen Core Processors:

• 4x faster than the competition for creator usages (updating photos etc...)
  • 20% faster for productivity workflows (Word, PPT, etc...)
  • Blazing fast GPU performance

Last edited:
I'll be interested to see how this new 11th Gen Intel Core processor holds up against the ARM-based CPU from Apple.

Boyd Phelps, CVP Client Engineering Group, Intel

How did we make 11th Gen Core happen?

(1) Started by the ground up developing a 10nm process for greater performance using new SuperFin technology (60 poly pitch transistor)
(2) Optimized high vt transistors to improve performance, leakage, and variation. Higher performance on lower voltages than the competition
(3) Completely redefined the metal stack: Two additional high performance layers with little voltage roll off, Super MIM capacitor, Improved RC, Novel thin barrier.

Bottom line: Intel CPUs now operate at much lower power voltages resulting on higher performance computing.

Greater than 20% CPU performance improvement
Up to 2X the GPU performance
5x better AI performance
3X faster and more reliable WiFi 6
Thunderbolt 4 (USB 4)
First mobile processor with PCIE Gen4
New memory controller

"All of this add up to something special, a processor evolved, a processor that was designed, built and tuned by thousands of Intel engineers."

Last edited:
Ksenia Chistyakova, Intel Product Marketing Engineer for AI and Media

Benchmarks: AMD 4800U vs Intel 11th Gen Core Processor

Hand crafted benchmarks that makes AMD look very bad. I guess if you are doing these specific things it is relevant. There was even a Microsoft Teams demo which hit home because I am on Team, Zoom, and GotoMeeting/Webinar, Skype calls all day and night now with mixed results. Rarely do we get through an hour call without someone dropping or some sort of technical issues. The Intel chip has built in AI etc...

There was also a graphics demo with AMD, Intel, and Nvidia chips showing the AMD 4800U and the Nvidia MX350 with Intel Gen 10 CPU getting trounced by the Intel 11th Gen CPU with integrated GPU:

Intel GPU benchmark.jpg

The other chips are "barely playable" but your mileage may vary of course......

Chris Walker, Intel CVP and GM of Mobile Client Platforms.

"Project Athena is a true industry first, partnering with the entire ecosystem to innovate beyond the CPU"

Board component and cooling design and technology for better miniaturization
Compact antennas enabling edge-to-edge displays for better connectivity
WiFi 6 a GIG+ best in class wireless connectivity with enhanced reliability
Thunderbolt 4 a fast versatile port for single cable activity
Intelligent performance throughout via AI
People first performance and capabilities
150 ecosystem partners
25 performance and responsive tests

Insert a nice video interview with Diplo, Award winning producer, record artist, and DJ. His laptop is his instrument. "Peace and love Intel". I have no idea who this guy is but it was a very nice clip.

" Project Athena is driving the innovation the PC industry needed and people demanded by pairing top engineers at Intel with partners from across the ecosystem to innovate and deliver PC platforms with the industries most advanced components and technologies we can guarantee the most advanced PC experiences available on the market. Add to this the power and performance of our 11th Gen Core Processors and you get something truly special." Gregory Bryant, EVP Intel Client Group.

Followed by gaming demos showing that "that competition can't keep up even with more cores". Ksenia Chistyakova, Intel Product Marketing Engineer for AI and Media

Last edited:
Karen Walker, Intel SVP and CMO

She introduced two new brands:

Intel EVO.jpg

In 1969 there was Intel Inside (which was brilliant in my opinion) and in 2006 they went back to just Intel. Pivotal moments in Intel history of course.
Now they have:

Nww Intel Logo.jpg

Pure genius..... I wonder how much they spent on that?

"All you need is an idea and Intel inside to go do something wonderful" Karen Walker, Intel SVP and CMO

Boyd Phelps, CVP Client Engineering Group, Intel

How did we make 11th Gen Core happen?

(1) Started by the ground up developing a 10nm process for greater performance using new SuperFin technology (60 poly pitch transistor)
(2) Optimized high vt transistors to improve performance, leakage, and variation. Higher performance on lower voltages than the competition
(3) Completely redefined the metal stack: Two additional high performance layers with little voltage roll off, Super MIM capacitor, Improved RC, Novel thin barrier.

Bottom line: Intel CPUs now operate at much lower power voltages resulting on higher performance computing.

Greater than 20% CPU performance improvement
Up to 2X the GPU performance
5x better AI performance
3X faster and more reliable WiFi 6
Thunderbolt 4 (USB 4)
First mobile processor with PCIE Gen4
New memory controller

"All of this add up to something special, a processor evolved, a processor that was designed, built and tuned by thousands of Intel engineers."
Relax CPP from 54nm to 60nm with SuperFin and SuperMiM. Will it be called 10++S and competing with tsmc 7nm? Interesting.

From: Intel Newsroom. https://newsroom.intel.com/newsroom/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2017/09/10-nm-icf-fact-sheet.pdf
1599094883987.png

From EETimes: https://www.eetimes.com/intels-10nm-node-past-present-and-future/
1599094973976.png

It's a bunch a marketing people with existential hysteria about losing their jobs trying to talk like an engineer to the general public. Intel could do a better job with presenting their products.

And that's something special ? Sounds like what we'd all normally do here. What were they doing before ?

I believe that it would be great to see Intel back on track, realizing its weaknesses and responding in a convincing way. That being said, let's wait for the actual systems and independent benchmarks. I am mostly curious about the GPU side of things, because it will reveal a lot for a whole series of other products.

I believe that it would be great to see Intel back on track, realizing its weaknesses and responding in a convincing way. That being said, let's wait for the actual systems and independent benchmarks. I am mostly curious about the GPU side of things, because it will reveal a lot for a whole series of other products.

I agree, it would be great to see Intel back on track. The technology is there, they just need extra strong management ala Andy Grove. I once said many years back that Intel should buy Nvidia instead of making their own GPU and take Jensen as CEO. That would have been something!

I don't know if you need 1000s of engineers if you're doctoring the 8088. I don't know if there are 1000s of engineers capable of the work.

Hi, You forgot to include few very important details...

1) Intel is comparing 15W AMD 4800U vs. 50W 10. gen Intel Tigerlake.
What does this mean for Tiger Lake? Based on Intel’s own numbers, peak turbo power is around 50 W, either when plugged in or off the power.

2) ZEN2 is old architecture which was on market for quite some time. Tigerlake will have to compete against ZEN3 confirmed to come later this year.

3) Superfin is fake. Pure marketing. It offers somewhat higher performance, but at cost of more than 3x higher power consumption.

4) There is only 4 core version of Tigerlake? You can have 8 core AMD with higher performance at much lower power draw.

Mediatek is releasing a 6nm chromebook next year. We'll see if tsmc has the capacity due to the coronavirus. There may be similarities with the apple processor.

Intel will be okay, no growth but okay. I don't see amd as a threat but mediatek may take market share. Mediatek is better at web conferences, etc.

Oregon's on fire. The whole area is a mess. Too much politics not any real work being done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mediatek is releasing a 6nm chromebook next year. We'll see if tsmc has the capacity due to the coronavirus. There may be similarities with the apple processor.

Intel will be okay, no growth but okay. I don't see amd as a threat but mediatek may take market share. Mediatek is better at web conferences, etc.
tsmc 6nm and 7nm and 10nm share the same capacity. Typically, when manufacturing of the most advanced AP or HPC chips moves to more advanced nodes( 2021 would be 5/4nm or 3nm ramp), then n-1 node capacity needs to be filled by tech migration of other applications like RF, Analog or Automotive, etc. I do believe 7/6nm will be long node like 28nm and capacity would be tight but enough. tsmc built more than 100kwpm now for this node.

Back