- This event has passed.
OCP Future Technologies Symposium
April 19, 2023
The mission of the OCP Future Technologies Symposium is to bring to the OCP Community a forward-looking funnel of technologies which focus on solving future problems facing the industry, and accelerate productization through partnerships and open source R&D. Also, it is a unique opportunity to expose a generation of up-and-coming, best-in-class students to the professional community for purposes of research, training and recruitment. The Global academic, startup and venture communities are invited to participate, as well as industrial organizations performing cutting-edge research related to data center technologies.
1. Innovation: to bring to the OCP Community a forward-looking funnel of new technologies and accelerate their productization
2. Technology scale: focus on technologies that can help grow, drive, and support the open hardware ecosystem in, near, and around the datacenter and beyond
3. People: connect best-in-class researchers to the professional community for purposes of collaboration, training and recruitment
By year-end 2022, a key success metric is adoption. Adoption can be either OCP members adopting technologies from Symposium, or investing in research
Technology Focus Areas
This year, the OCP Symposium announces Sustainability as a general topic of the event and opens up five technological tracks for authors to submit papers:
- Any topics relating to significantly improving the performance, sustainability, and/or efficiency of the transportation layer / means to move information between devices and locations, including network design and architecture, optical components, etc.
- High Performance Computing (HPC)
- Includes any topics aimed at improving the performance, sustainability and/or efficiency of performing large-scale, specialized computing applications, typically AI/ML workloads
- Data Center Efficiency
- Includes any solutions aimed at improving the performance, sustainability, and/or efficiency in how we design and/or operate Data Centers to reduce overall consumption of resources (water, power, materials)
- Systems (Server, Storage, Switches) and Power
- Any topics addressing improving the performance, sustainability, and/or efficiency of Servers, Storage Media and Switches. Also includes topics related to securely protecting data in the OCP ecosystem
- Other Data Center Sustainable Solutions
- If you have a transformative idea for OCP and Data Center hardware and you can’t figure out how to fit into the above categories, please still submit!
- Current R&D models are largely point-to-point
- OCP exists on the principles of Open Source – The OCP Future Technologies Symposium offers an opportunity to expand that model to R&D
- We believe OCP Symposium can serve as a forum for OCP members to collaborate on the hardest areas of opportunities / risk facing the industry, and bring those to a consortium of technology-focused Academic and Startup members to work on
- OCP pools their research efforts, Symposium pools their R&D capabilities
- Exposure to major players in the IT industry – direct access to the hardest problems facing multiple levels of scale
- Includes users, developers, manufacturers, and hyperscale companies
- Forum for your ideas and research – OCP is already an established community